There are so many amazing sights on Kauai: lush rainforests, Mount Waialeala, Hanapepe Valley, and Waimea Canyon. But probably the most amazing awe-inspiring sight is the Na Pali Coastline. The unique creation of this coastline has led to deep and narrow hanging valleys and cliffs that soar thousands of feet into the air, making them the second tallest sea cliffs in the world, second only to the ones on Moloka’i. Because of the steep nature of these sea cliffs the best way to access them is from helicopter or boat with the views from the air allowing you the most access to amazing sights that will take your breath away!
Here are some more interesting facts about the Na Pali Coast:
- Hawaiian’s inhabited most of the Na Pali coast for hundreds of years but by 1930 most families had moved out of the area. You can now get a permit with the Napali Coast State Wilderness Park to camp in the area.
- Some regard the 17-mile stretch of coastline to be the most beautiful part of Hawaii and it is a must-see destination for people visiting the state.
- Freshwater erosion from streams have created the valleys over millions of years while winter surf has widened sea caves, caused landslides and chipped away at the cliffs to create the breathtaking landscape we have today.
- There are several waterfalls along the Na Pali Coast including Wai’ahu’akua which is inside a cave and Awa’awa’puhi which can be seen along the Awa’awa’puhi trail.
- The Na Pali Coast can be seen in the movie Jurassic Park.
If you are interested in exploring the Na Pali Coastline, there is no better way to see it than from the air. And if you are looking for something a little more exhilarating, try our doors-off flight! Here is what some guests have to say about the experience:
“I have never been in a helicopter before. My only small aircraft experience has been two small planes in Alaska. Those were great, but the helicopter was even better! This was the best way to see the splendor of Kauai and I wish I could give it more stars... Everyone was also friendly and accommodating. Definitely a must and I can't wait to come back.” - Kimberly A
“Top notch tour. The helicopter was comfortable and the pilot was great both in flying and with the information he provided.” - Tony
“To start off this was our first helicopter ride. We went door less! The group of people we were with were the funniest people. Our pilot was amazing with his stories and flying skills. The front receptionist Ashley that check is in was so polite, nice and the friendliest employee. I hope this company treats her good. Our flight was the mountain sides & sandy ocean beach views. We loved every minute we were on our ride. Thank you so much for our adventures this morning. I recommend this airline to everyone!” - Diane C.
“Highlight of our trip! If you are going to do one activity during your stay on the island this is it and it's worth it for sure. They thought of everything from providing jackets, lanyards to secure your phone, hair ties for the ladies and the safety equipment of course. The views were spectacular so many shades of blue and green and so many waterfalls once in a lifetime experience.” - Bettina L.
If you are interested in a helicopter tour with Air Kauai, book online through our tours page or call us at (808) 246-4666 if you have any questions!